Fallen officers honored in Washington D.C. | News
(WZZM) - Two fallen West Michigan police officers will be remembered in Washington DC.
More than 300 names of officers from across the country will be added to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. Among them are Officer Eric Zapata from Kalamazoo and Officer Trevor Slot from Walker.
Officer Zapata died in the line of duty while responding to a call of shots fired last April. His funeral was held later in the month at Miller Auditorium.
Zapata was the first officer from the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety to be killed in the line of duty.
Officer Trevor Slot was also the first officer Walker Police lost in the line of duty. He was killed last October by two bank robbery suspects while trying to deploy stop sticks on I-96 near Marne.
The city of Walker is honoring Officer Slot with a memorial run next month.
Upcoming Events near Walker
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- GRFD confirms child playing with fire caused West Side blaze
- My Town: Consumers Energy Foundation awards nearly $39K to nonprofits
- My Town: GVSU and DHS awarded research grant for family support program
- My Town GR West: Survey reveals Michigan parents overwhelmingly pleased with 21st century education
- OPINION: Michigan, Our Great State
- My Town: Board to address ballpark water upgrade proposal following fire
- My Town: Date set for Art Van Sports Complex grand opening
- Burglars lock up after stealing cigarettes
- 2 hospitalized following 131 crash near Post Drive
- Sun Title Launches EZ-Read Title CommitmentTM for Property Owners, Realtors® and Lenders