Fallen officers honored in Washington D.C. | News
(WZZM) - Two fallen West Michigan police officers will be remembered in Washington DC.
More than 300 names of officers from across the country will be added to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial. Among them are Officer Eric Zapata from Kalamazoo and Officer Trevor Slot from Walker.
Officer Zapata died in the line of duty while responding to a call of shots fired last April. His funeral was held later in the month at Miller Auditorium.
Zapata was the first officer from the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety to be killed in the line of duty.
Officer Trevor Slot was also the first officer Walker Police lost in the line of duty. He was killed last October by two bank robbery suspects while trying to deploy stop sticks on I-96 near Marne.
The city of Walker is honoring Officer Slot with a memorial run next month.
Upcoming Events near Walker
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Kenowa Hills Superintendent evaluation April 23
- My Town Alpine Township: Master Plan open house April 22
- My Town: Forest Hills Northern and Comstock Park help break in newly rebuilt ballpark
- My Town Comstock Park: Resellers needed for Mom2Mom Sale
- My Town: Volunteers needed to help 'Stamp Out Hunger'
- Store employee opens fire on gunmen, one believed to have been wounded.
- My Town: University of Tennessee names Northview alum new coach
- My Town: Blythefield Country Club to detail plans for LPGA tournament
- My Town: Highlands Middle School to host boater safety classes
- My Town Northview: Proposed millage renewal information session April 22