Traveling tribute to Vietnam veterans in Walker | News
WALKER, Mich. (WZZM)- A tribute to Michigan's fallen Vietnam veterans is in Walker.
The Patriot Guard and American Legion Riders escorted the traveling wall to the American Legion post on Wilson Road Saturday morning. Set in the stone memorial are the names of 2,654 Michigan soldiers who fought and died in the Vietnam War. Many of Saturday's riders said they knew at least one of the fallen veterans.
"There are a few guys I went to high school on there," said Vietnam veteran David Schoenherr.
"I have a good friend that's on this wall, whom I grew up with in Detroit, Michigan. I was his newspaper route helper. That's how I first met him," added VVA Chapter 154 Vice President Gary Purcell. "I'll never forget Dennis. It touches my heart that I can remember him and honor him every day and also all of our brothers."
The traveling memorial wall will be on display at the American Legion Neal Fonger Post 179 through 6 p.m. Sunday, as part of the legion's car and motorcycle show.
Upcoming Events near Walker
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Kenowa Hills to hold May 2 event to support veterans
- My Town Comstock Park: Book Sale to support library programs this weekend
- My Town: Kenowa Hills Superintendent evaluation April 23
- My Town Alpine Township: Master Plan open house April 22
- My Town: Forest Hills Northern and Comstock Park help break in newly rebuilt ballpark
- Store employee opens fire on gunmen, one believed to have been wounded.
- My Town: University of Tennessee names Northview alum new coach
- My Town: Blythefield Country Club to detail plans for LPGA tournament
- My Town: Highlands Middle School to host boater safety classes
- My Town Northview: Proposed millage renewal information session April 22