Traveling tribute to Vietnam veterans in Walker | News
WALKER, Mich. (WZZM)- A tribute to Michigan's fallen Vietnam veterans is in Walker.
The Patriot Guard and American Legion Riders escorted the traveling wall to the American Legion post on Wilson Road Saturday morning. Set in the stone memorial are the names of 2,654 Michigan soldiers who fought and died in the Vietnam War. Many of Saturday's riders said they knew at least one of the fallen veterans.
"There are a few guys I went to high school on there," said Vietnam veteran David Schoenherr.
"I have a good friend that's on this wall, whom I grew up with in Detroit, Michigan. I was his newspaper route helper. That's how I first met him," added VVA Chapter 154 Vice President Gary Purcell. "I'll never forget Dennis. It touches my heart that I can remember him and honor him every day and also all of our brothers."
The traveling memorial wall will be on display at the American Legion Neal Fonger Post 179 through 6 p.m. Sunday, as part of the legion's car and motorcycle show.
Top Walker Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Cath & Steph Celebrate Beer City USA With Perrin Brewing
- When classes end the renovations begin at Comstock Park Schools
- American Cancer Society celebrates strength of survivors
- Comstock Park will "Paint the Town Purple" for the Month of May!
- Dining to donate: Enjoy a meal that's filling and fulfilling!